Set of Custom Dice

[Dice] I made this set of dice for some friends of ours. It was my first project on my Sherline milling machine, and I thought it would be a good way to familiarize myself with the tool. The dice are made out of aluminum, with the pips and other symbols cut with an small end mill. The red die has a star on one face, which was the most interesting to cut since it required the use of a rotary table. I finished this project in May of 2003.


[Box] I also made a wooden case for the dice from some lovely figured cocobolo (the same stuff I used for the concertina). All of the joints are mitered... the ones on the end were a little sloppy, but the joints along the sides are very tight - you can barely tell them apart from the grain. Here's a closeup so you can see for yourself: (click for a larger version)
[JointCloseup]


Project Index